Help create a community where all youth are valued, celebrated and empowered for living healthy, substance abuse free lives.
Myth or Fact?
Most of our youth do not use alcohol and drugs…
FACT: Most kids do not use. However, according to a 2013, 11th grade survey, Waconia students use nearly 5 percent more alcohol, marijuana and tobacco than the state average.
Alcohol tax covers the economic costs associated with alcohol in Minnesota…
MYTH: MN Tax does not cover the cost. In 2011, the State Dept. of Health estimated costs associated with alcohol at over $5.06 billion per year. Tax revenues collected from alcohol sales? Around $296 million per year.
The HERO Coalition’s Super-Samaritan Award goes-to Justin Ratzlaff!
Big Shout Out to Justin Ratzlaff, founder of the SPOKES brand—Biking, Paddle boarding, Ice Cream and Micro Adventures! Justin’s a third-generation Waconian, world traveler, and adventurer. “We’re all striving to show the kids and adults in our community that there’s so much fun to be had, and so many places to explore, and it really doesn’t take that much expertise or equipment to get out and do it!” Justin can be found working with students in the Waconia Schools as a robotics and distance running coach, teaching kids bike safety and maintenance at bike rodeos, and salvaging old bikes so he can give free parts to kids. Read More
We’re here to tell the stories of those who are making a difference in our world.
Hero Award nominations are now being accepted!
If you know a youth leader, individual, or group of students whose story should be shared and recognized, let us know! Nominate your candidate(s).
“If we provide the scaffolding, students will have the opportunity to be successful”
~Maureen Farrell, District 110 Drug Free Communities Grants Coordinator
- Get involved by… Improving your community!
- Serve on a neighborhood association
- Write to an elected official
- Vote in an upcoming election
- Get involved by… Promoting knowledge!
- Tutor a fellow classmate
- Read to a younger sibling
- Teach a class
- Get involved by… Promoting sustainable practices!
- Join a community garden
- Learn how to compost
- Recycle at home and in school
- Get involved by… Striving to make the world a kindler, gentler place!
- Join Rotary Interact, International Club, Conservation Club…
- Engage in service-learning
- Encourage teachers to use dialogue circles in the classroom
- Get involved by… Promoting physical and mental well-being!
- Participate in an after-school sport
- Launch a “Be Vocal: Speak Up for Mental Health” campaign at your school
- Develop a meal plan with your family
- Get involved by… Celebrating differences!
- Launch a Gay-Straight Alliance at your school
- Participate in an Anti-Bullying Campaign
- Ask classmates to take the “Tolerance Pledge”